Growing Mushrooms Outdoors (Shiitake, Oyster & Wine Cap) - Intensive Online Workshop
NEW in 2021!
Our classes are on sale from $45+ per class, now just $29.99!
There are 2 ways to enjoy our classes...
You can register through Zoom to join the class live & have access to the recording(s) & materials after class. Just click on the registration link and register/checkout in Zoom.
You can purchase the pre-recorded class and watch it on-demand. This is the most flexible option. If you want this, add it to cart, check out and we will email you all of the materials and video(s) for the class!
How do I register for this class?
When: Jan 15, 2022 09:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Growing Mushrooms Outdoors (Shiitake, Oyster & Wine Cap) - Intensive Online Workshop
Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
How do I watch this class on-demand?
This class IS available on-demand. You do NOT need to watch it live on Zoom or register. Instead, just add this to your cart, check out, & we will email you all of the video(s) & materials!
What will I learn in the Workshop?
We are dedicated to sustainable organic practices. We could add this in the title of each class, but its easier to just say all of our classes ONLY teach organic practices.
During this Zoom Webinar/Class, you will be able to type questions and chat with other participants while Mark presents. If needed, you can "raise your hand" and Mark can allow you to talk to the class and ask a clarifying question that can help to deepen everyone's learning.
Following the class, Mark will email you more information to get you going and continue your learning.
These materials will include links to products that are both economical but of good quality. If there was a presentation or handout for the class, you'll also receive those. You can also reply back with questions and Mark will try his best to be your remote learning mentor and point you in the right direction.
No matter what, you'll learn...
- The primary species we'll discuss are Shiitakes, Oysters, and Wine Caps. However, if the class wants to discuss other species, we may.
- The life cycle and needs of fungi. We usually send everyone home with a sample of spawn to experiment with indoors and see the life cycle and contamination in person.
- How to use straw or wood chips to grow mushrooms
- How to use all of the tree, from stump, to trunk (large logs stacked in totems), to limbs (standard logs), to branches (chips)
- The types of wood to use, how to age it, and when it's aged too much
- How to get spawn (fungi to inoculate your log with)
- Low cost tools and materials you'll need for less than 5-100 logs
- Advanced tools for producing 100's-1000's of logs
- Safety procedures you need to follow
- How to take care of your logs or growing beds for the 1st year in Southern New England
- How to take care of the logs for the following years
- How to set up a simple "assembly line" and work with friends and family to inoculate dozens of logs for less than $200.
- Many times, we have spawn and inoculated logs available for purchase so you can start growing at home that same day.