Growing Mushrooms Outdoors (Shiitake, Oyster & Wine Cap) - 90 min Intensive Workshop
Select the date you wish to attend, select the quantity, add it to your cart, & checkout to reserve your seats.
What will I learn in the Workshop?
This is designed to be a hands-on workshop. You'll get to pick up tools and materials, ask questions, and see the entire process. If we have fresh logs and spawn available, you can watch us inoculate a log for you. No matter what, you'll learn...
- The primary species we'll discuss are Shiitakes, Oysters, and Wine Caps. However, if the class wants to discuss other species, we may.
- The life cycle and needs of fungi. We usually send everyone home with a sample of spawn to experiment with indoors and see the life cycle and contamination in person.
- How to use straw or wood chips to grow mushrooms
- How to use all of the tree, from stump, to trunk (large logs stacked in totems), to limbs (standard logs), to branches (chips)
- The types of wood to use, how to age it, and when it's aged too much
- How to get spawn (fungi to inoculate your log with)
- Low cost tools and materials you'll need for less than 5-100 logs
- Advanced tools for producing 100's-1000's of logs
- Safety procedures you need to follow
- How to take care of your logs or growing beds for the 1st year in Southern New England
- How to take care of the logs for the following years
- How to set up a simple "assembly line" and work with friends and family to inoculate dozens of logs for less than $200.
- Many times, we have spawn and inoculated logs available for purchase so you can start growing at home that same day.
Dates & Times
Saturday - January 18th 2020 from 11:00AM to 12:30PM - Growing Mushrooms Outdoors (Shiitake, Oyster & Wine Cap),
Saturday - February 8th 2020 from 11:00AM to 12:30PM - Growing Mushrooms Outdoors (Shiitake, Oyster & Wine Cap),
Saturday - May 16th 2020 from 9:00AM to 10:30AM - Growing Mushrooms Outdoors (Shiitake, Oyster & Wine Cap),
Other Notes About Our Workshops
We ask that you pay for each person attending and pay in full at the time of reservation/purchase.
There are 16-20 seats available for each workshop.
If the date you'd like to attend is full or the dates don't work, you may contact us to see if we can schedule another date for you. If you are part of group of friends who would like to have a private lesson, contact us. We may be able to come to your location.
Because you are paying for a seat at the class, we hope you understand that we only refund your purchase if a class is canceled by us. If the class is postponed to another day, or the time of day is changed, we will do our best to let you know in advance. If for some reason you cannot attend, let us know, we will not refund your money, but we may be able to offer you an alternative date, apply your tuition toward a product we make, or help you in another way. We are reasonable people and expect that reasonable people are attending these classes. Do not purchase from us if you are an unreasonable person.