Private Zoom Event - Preserving the Harvest: Pickling, Canning, Freezing & Drying - Group Classes Only
This workshop is only being offered for private events. If you'd like to schedule a group lesson, please contact us.
What will I learn in the Workshop?
This is designed to be a hands-on workshop. You'll get to pick up tools and materials, ask questions, and see the entire process.
- Overall, we will focus on 4 common and easy ways to preserve your harvest: Pickling, Canning, Freezing, and Drying. You may ask about other methods, but this is meant to be a first-step in homesteading knowledge.
- Pros & Cons of each of the 4 methods.
- We will discuss a variety of veggies, fruits, and herbs that are commonly grown at home and found at local farm stands & farmers markets.
- We will demonstrate how to naturally make either pickles, sauerkraut, or kimchi.
- Standards of cleanliness: what details to pay attention to so you avoid spoilage or food poisoning.
- Absolute basic kitchen equipment - focussing on what you likely have already, but also introducing you to helpful/specialty/necessary items.
- Quick methods that either require little time to process like one jar of pickles, little check-ins like drying herbs, or an efficiency of time by bulk processing lots of cans or frozen foods.
- When/where it's best to pick and/or buy food.
- What details are best used to preserve texture and taste.
- Hanging to dry in open air, building a solar dehydrator, and using a store-bought food dehydrator.
- Take-away recipes & links to resources.