No-Till Gardening - Easy/Low Labor Methods for Starting a Garden From Scratch - 90 min intensive workshop
Select a date, add the number of seats to your cart, and check out to reserve your seats.
If you'd like a quote to schedule a group lesson, please contact us. We can host the class at our farm, or bring it to your homestead/location.
What will I learn in the workshop?
No-till means exactly what it says: You don't till the soil, you don't turn it over, you don't break it up every year. Soil structure is important and delicate. Using a rototiller once to start a garden is fine. We will even discuss digging by hand. However, over time you are adding too much oxygen to the soil which deprives the plants of nutrients. Digging also brings weed seeds to the surface creating more weeds to deal with. Turning over the soil also disrupts the symbiotic relationships and fungal networks that are being created in a healthy soils.
- We will discuss a variety of easy ways to start a garden bed from scratch. Some involve digging, but most do not. Examples include: Sheet Mulching/Lasagna Mulching, hugelkultur beds, forrest garden beds, raised beds, straw bale gardens,
- No-till is easier on the body and can become a fun family activity that makes gardening nearly weed free and a joy.
- You'll be able to see my own no-till gardens as large as 50'x30' and as small as 1'x2', used for growing veggies, flowers, herbs, fruit and mushrooms.
- We'll discuss the materials/mulches you may want to find for free or purchase inexpensively (cardboard, straw, hay, wood chips, top soil, compost)
- We will discuss possible times to start a garden project & how you should tweak your method to match the season.
- How to drill/plant seeds & store bought plants into the soil
- No-till also requires hardly any tools at all, but we'll show off our favorite tools to use and which jobs to use them in
DATES & TIMES
OTHER NOTES ABOUT OUR WORKSHOPS
We ask that you pay for each person attending and pay in full at the time of reservation/purchase.
There are 16-20 seats available for each workshop.
If the date you'd like to attend is full or the dates don't work, you may contact us to see if we can schedule another date for you. If you are part of group of friends who would like to have a private lesson, contact us. We may be able to come to your location.
Because you are paying for a seat at the class, we hope you understand that we only refund your purchase if a class is canceled by us. If the class is postponed to another day, or the time of day is changed, we will do our best to let you know in advance. If for some reason you cannot attend, let us know, we will not refund your money, but we may be able to offer you an alternative date, apply your tuition toward a product we make, or help you in another way. We are reasonable people and expect that reasonable people are attending these classes. Do not purchase from us if you are an unreasonable person.