ONLINE Class! - Backyard Chickens for the Whole Family - 90 Min Intensive Online Workshop
NEW! - We are now offering this class as an online class only due to Covid-19. This is exciting because now you can watch the class from home, type in your questions and still get to see and hear everything Mark would normally teach. This also means people from around the world can join in too!
Just add to cart, check out, and we will give you access to the 2 hour video, the presentation and the handouts with lots of links for more learning!
What will I learn in the Workshop?
Gather your whole family around this Zoom Class! Mark will take you on a tour of his coop and run to see his hens. You will see what you'll need from chick to your first eggs.
From 4 to 30 chickens in your backyard. We started with 6 and over the years we have had some die (naturally & from predation), added some chicks, adopted hens, re-homed some roosters...now we have about 24. We let them live until they die of natural causes. Our kids have grown up with these girls and learned a lot of responsibility. These are our pets and we want to help you find a flock to love too.
- Selecting the right number and breed(s) of hens - We have 9+ breeds of hens in our flock. Some are better layers, friendly, etc. some are not.
- Where and when and what to look for to source chicks/layers
- How to select the "right sized" coop & run - what features are must-haves
- Pictures of coops & an on-site tour so you can get a sense of scale, materials, and elements they need to have to protect them from predators and the elements, while staying happy.
- Efficient and economic ways to feed and water them in hot summers and freezing winters
- How to think like a hen to design a home that suits their nesting, roosting, social, and foraging habits.
- How to get your family involved
- How to train your hens to come to you
- Pros, Cons & Best Practices of stationary coops, portable coops, fencing materials, electric fences, tractors, and free-ranging.