2018 Backyard Chickens for the Whole Family - 90 Min Intensive Workshop
Select the date you wish to attend, select the quantity, add it to your cart, & checkout to reserve your seats.
What will I learn in the Workshop?
This is designed to be a hands-on workshop. You'll get to pick up tools and materials, ask questions, and see what you'll need from chick to your first eggs.
- From 4 to 30 chickens in your backyard. We started with 6 and over the years we have had some die (naturally & from predation), added some chicks, adopted hens, re-homed some roosters...now we have about 30. We let them live until they die of natural causes. Our kids have grown up with these girls and learned a lot of responsibility. These are our pets and we want to help you find a flock to love too.
- Selecting the right number and breed(s) of hens - We have 9+ breeds of hens in our flock. Some are better layers, friendly, etc. some are not.
- Where and when and what to look for to source chicks
- How to select the "right sized" coop & run - what features are must-haves
- We have several coops on-site so you can get a sense of scale, materials, and elements they need to have to protect them from predators and the elements, while staying happy.
- Efficient and economic ways to feed and water them in hot summers and freezing winters
- How to think like a hen to design a home that suits their nesting, roosting, social, and foraging habits.
- How to get your family involved
- How to train your hens to come to you
- Pros, Cons & Best Practices of stationary coops, portable coops, fencing materials, electric fences, and free-ranging.
Dates & Times
Sunday - July 22nd 2018 - 1:30PM to 3:00PM - Backyard Chickens for the Whole Family
Other Notes About Our Workshops
We ask that you pay for each person attending and pay in full at the time of reservation/purchase.
There are 16-20 seats available for each workshop.
If the date you'd like to attend is full or the dates don't work, you may contact us to see if we can schedule another date for you. If you are part of group of friends who would like to have a private lesson, contact us. We may be able to come to your location.
Because you are paying for a seat at the class, we hope you understand that we only refund your purchase if a class is canceled by us. If the class is postponed to another day, or the time of day is changed, we will do our best to let you know in advance. If for some reason you cannot attend, let us know, we will not refund your money, but we may be able to offer you an alternative date, apply your tuition toward a product we make, or help you in another way. We are reasonable people and expect that reasonable people are attending these classes. Do not purchase from us if you are an unreasonable person.