Chickadee Tree House
Note: most of these are sold locally and are picked up by appointment. However, we now can ship these to the lower 48 states!
Our wildlife houses are constructed with care and an attention to details from locally sourced 1" rough-cut pine. We pre-drill and use exterior screws to create secure structures that will take a beating in the harsh New England winds. They are built with both functionality for the owner and the specific needs of the animal.
We believe our houses should be inviting to the birds and help protect them from the elements and predators. We let our houses weather with time, like the trees around them. We don't use chemically treated woods products unless requested by the customer.
We know you'll want to check in on the birds before, during, and after they have used the nest box. We make sure each box is easy to open, inspect and clean.
- This is pretty cool: Chickadees, nuthatches and woodpeckers are the primary cavity/hollow making birds. They find rotting trees and instinctively hollow out a cavity for their nest. This box is designed with this in mind. You see that this is like a section of a rotting log. First, the interior is rounded off by adding angled pieces to each corner. Then the cavity is stuffed with pine shavings (included). This way the chickadee fulfills its desire to create a cavity for its nest.
- Constructed with 1" rough cut pine and exterior grade screws.
- Unfinished surface meant to naturally weather grey. The owner may paint or stain the house's exterior a natural color.
- Roughly 16" tall, 4" wide, and 4" deep
- Small 1-1/8" entrance keeps out many competing species and predators. The entrance is sanded to reduce feather-wear.
- Underside of the roof has a kerf cut to help rain drip off the edge rather than into the house.
- Roof overhangs beyond the entrance to reduce the likelihood of water chilling the chicks.
- Roof fits like a plug/stopper on top of the house
- Mounting blocks are attached and predrilled so the house can be hung on a metal/wooden pole or a tree.
- The floor is recessed 1/2" upward. As rain travels down the outside of the walls, it doesn't collect under the floor.
Optional Pole Installation Kit Includes:
- 2' section of rebar to be driven into the ground 18"
- 5' section of 1/2" conduit to fit over the rebar sticking out of the ground.
- 1 conduit connector to hold the conduit securely to the rebar
- 1 1/2" conduit strap to secure the bottom of the birdhouse to the conduit.
- By purchasing the kit, you save time in driving to hardware store to gather these materials.
Location and Installation Guidelines
- Place the box in a shady area in the woods in an open space or at the edge of an open space. Suburban lots are excellent. Mount them by March or April for best results. They will continue to use the house to roost in cold winter nights.
- Height: Eye level.
- Mounting: Hang on a pole, post, or tree.
- Nesting materials: The box comes stuffed with pine shavings
How do I get my order?
We'd be happy for you to visit the farm to pick up your bird house order. After you order, we'll contact you to schedule a visit.
At this time, we like the personal contact with each customer. We can answer questions about placement and installation. As well, many of these (especially orders of several houses) are too heavy to ship.
However, if you want a shipping quote or you are in CT, MA, or RI we can deliver larger orders for a fee of $40, and possibly free depending on the size of your order. Please contact us with any questions.