Homemade Kombucha, Kefir, & Other Fermented Drinks - 90 Min Intensive Workshop
Select the date you wish to attend, select the quantity, add it to your cart, & checkout to reserve your seats.
What will I learn in the Workshop?
This is designed to be a demonstration workshop. You'll get to pick up tools and materials, ask questions, and see the entire process.
- Overall, we will focus on Kombucha & Kefir by demonstrating all of the key steps in making both drinks. You may ask about other drinks, but this is meant to be a first-step in homesteading knowledge; so we start with two that nearly guarantee success.
- Every culture has their native fermented drinks. They all rely on similar processes. Other drinks up for discussion include: kvas (Eastern Euro/Russian traditional rye/beet drink), tepache (Latin American Pineapple Drink), shrubs, root/birch/ginger beers, wine, cider, beer, and even vinegars.
- Standards of cleanliness: what details to pay attention to so you avoid spoilage or food poisoning
- Absolute basic kitchen equipment - focussing on what you likely have already, but also introducing you to helpful/specialty/necessary items
- Key ingredients and their roles in creating a satisfying ferment
- Quick check-ins to monitor and/or adjust flavor or speed of the ferment
- Take-away recipes & links to resources
Dates & Times
Both Mark Gostkiewicz, the co-owner of Tri Gable Lea Farm LLC, and John Woitovich, of Cross-Sound Farm, will be teaching this workshop. John is our local expert in sustainable, ethical homestead meat production. He is a middle school teacher who runs a family farm on his 2 acre homestead in Deep River, CT. Both John and Mark have been teaching this workshop to 7th and 8th grade students and have developed a co-teaching style that complements each other.
Other Notes About Our Workshops
We ask that you pay for each person attending and pay in full at the time of reservation/purchase.
There are about 12 seats available for each kitchen workshop.
If the date you'd like to attend is full or the dates don't work, you may contact us to see if we can schedule another date for you. If you are part of group of friends who would like to have a private lesson, contact us. We may be able to come to your location.
Because you are paying for a seat at the class, we hope you understand that we only refund your purchase if a class is canceled by us. If the class is postponed to another day, or the time of day is changed, we will do our best to let you know in advance. If for some reason you cannot attend, let us know, we will not refund your money, but we may be able to offer you an alternative date, apply your tuition toward a product we make, or help you in another way. We are reasonable people and expect that reasonable people are attending these classes. Do not purchase from us if you are an unreasonable person.