"XBox" Bluebird House (swallows, titmice, & flycatchers too)
Note: most of these are sold locally and are picked up by appointment. However, we now can ship these to the lower 48 states!
Our wildlife houses are constructed with care and an attention to details from locally sourced 1" rough-cut pine. We pre-drill and use exterior screws to create secure structures that will take a beating in the harsh New England winds. They are built with both functionality for the owner and the specific needs of the animal.
We believe our houses should be inviting to the birds and help protect them from the elements and predators. We let our houses weather with time, like the trees around them. We don't use chemically treated woods products unless requested by the customer.
We know you'll want to check in on the birds before, during, and after they have used the nest box. We make sure each box is easy to open, inspect and clean.
- Constructed with 1" rough cut pine and exterior screws
- Unfinished surface meant to naturally weather grey. The owner may paint or stain the house's exterior a natural color.
- Roughly 1' tall, 6" wide, and 6"deep
- Underside of the roof has a kerf cut to help rain drip off the edge rather than into the house.
- Roof overhangs beyond the entrance to reduce the likelihood of water chilling the chicks.
- Mounting holes are predrilled to hang on a post/pole (see the picture for pole mounting suggestions).
- Front face opens downward to check on eggs or clean out the house.
- The floor is recessed 1/2" upward. As rain travels down the outside of the walls, it doesn't collect under the floor.
- Kerf cuts are used on the inside to help fledglings gain a grip to leave the house (added for use with swallows)
- Comes standard with 1-1/2" entrance for Bluebirds and Swallows however this can me modified to 1-3/4" for Great Crested Flycatchers and 1-1/4" for Tufted Titmice.
Optional Pole Installation Kit Includes:
- 2' section of rebar to be driven into the ground 18"
- 5' section of 1/2" conduit to fit over the rebar sticking out of the ground.
- 1 conduit connector to hold the conduit securely to the rebar
- 1 1/2" conduit strap to secure the bottom of the birdhouse to the conduit.
- By purchasing the kit, you save time in driving to hardware store to gather these materials.
Location and Installation Guidelines
- Place the box in a forrest clearing and semi-open country with scattered trees. Big yards and orchards are good sites. Pairs of boxes can be placed 300' apart, or out of line-of-sight of other bluebird houses.
- Height: From 2-50' high. However for ease of maintenance, you should mount it at eye level. Warning: Hanging nest boxes can be dangerous and even fatal. Enlist the an able bodied helper and use the proper safety equipment.
- Mounting: Attach to a sturdy pole/stake/electrical conduit/fence post that is driven in securely (not included). See the image for pole mounting suggestions. The Xbox is designed to be mounted on conduit.
- Nesting materials: none needed
- Bluebirds start looking for nesting sites as early as January. Since this house can also be used for tree swallows, flycathers and titmice, other actions may be made with regard to placement if you wish to provide a home to these species.
How do I get my order?
We'd be happy for you to visit the farm to pick up your bird house order. After you order, we'll contact you to schedule a visit.
At this time, we like the personal contact with each customer. We can answer questions about placement and installation. As well, many of these (especially orders of several houses) are too heavy to ship.
However, if you want a shipping quote or you are in CT, MA, or RI we can deliver larger orders for a fee of $40, and possibly free depending on the size of your order. Please contact us with any questions.