The Cape Chicken Coop or Tractor
NEW DESIGN 2019! - Last year a customer challenged us by asking for a coop with a lot of the features we offered, but with a different roof line and an really cool side clean-out door. The roof line creates a bit more interior volume, while also creating two separate large nesting areas. The access door puts the eggs, feed, and water all in your reach, while the side clean-out door allows you to either rake out the coop into a wheel barrow, or directly into a compost pile off to the side!
We made a sturdy, secure, and easy to maintain building that can be customized to your needs. You may purchase just the coop on blocks, coop on a stand, coop on a fenced in run with an access door, or for ultimate portability and happiness of you flock you can make the whole structure into a portable chicken tractor on wheels.
- Nesting areas, roosts, and ladders
- Large door swings out of the way so you can fully clean the floor of the coop, add bedding and change food & water in the coop. It also gives you access to the nesting shelves to collect eggs.
- Hooks for feeder and waterer are under the nesting areas. This keeps them off the floor of the coop and free of droppings as they roost above.
- One ladder leads birds up into the nesting/roost area. Another ladder is used to help the birds in and out of the coop.
- It comes standard with an open scuttle hole; however a door can be in its place. We recommend an open scuttle since it allows cool fresh air in.
- It is about 4' wide, 6' long and 4' high (plus the 2' height of the stand).
- 6-9 chickens is a reasonable number for this sized coop.
- You would place this at your home and either free range your flock or build them a fenced in run.
- We build it on a 2' tall PT stand to bring it up to a more comfortable height for you.
Features of a Tractor
- We will fence in this stand and add in an access door for you
- A drop-down hatch in the floor with a ladder for the flock to enter it
- Finally, it will be mounted on two wheels with handles added on to make it a chicken tractor.
Local Delivery is also available for $50 and a rate of $1.75/mile from 06415.
You can purchase it on our site and then pay delivery charges later. As well we will accept a deposit of half the cost to get started, with full payment upon completion of the coop. Feel free to contact us to arrange a deposit.
Pictures may show temporary "shipping wheels". We use these to move them around our building yard and for loading. We take these off unless you'd like to purchase them for an additional fee per wheel.
It tends to take us between a week to a month to build each order. Winter snows can delay completion until it melts.