ONLINE Class! - Homemade Pickles, Sauerkraut, & Other Fermented Foods - 90 min intensive workshop
NEW! - We are now offering this class as an online class only due to Covid-19. This is exciting because now you can watch the class from home, type in your questions and still get to see and hear everything Mark would normally teach. This also means people from around the world can join in too!
Just add to cart & check out to pay through our website and we will email you a links to watch the lesson & receive all of the curated resources to help you continue your learning.
What will I learn in the Workshop?
This is designed to be a demonstration workshop. You'll get to pick up tools and materials, ask questions, and see the entire process.
- Overall, we will focus on Classic Lacto-Fermented Dill Pickles & Sauerkraut by demonstrating all of the key steps in making both. You may ask about other fermented foods, but this is meant to be a first-step in homesteading knowledge; so we start with two that nearly guarantee success.
- Every culture has their native fermented foods. They all rely on similar processes. Other foods up for discussion include: kimchi (Korean Chili Infused Cabbage), pickled eggs, beets, carrots, beans, facto-fermented no-cook jams, soft cheeses & yogurts, and more.
- When/where it's best to pick and/or buy food to ferment
- What details to pay attention to preserve texture and taste.
- Standards of cleanliness: what details to pay attention to so you avoid spoilage or food poisoning
- Absolute basic kitchen equipment - focussing on what you likely have already, but also introducing you to helpful/specialty/necessary items
- Key ingredients and their roles in creating a satisfying ferment
- Quick check-ins to monitor and/or adjust flavor or speed of the ferment
- Take-away recipes & links to resources